This year we had the honor of being part of the Long Beach Jazz Festival where we demonstrated and had tastings of various healthy recipes anyone can make using The Real Co. Single Origin, non-GMO Pink Himalayan Salt, Raw Cane Sugar, or White Basmati Rice.
Healthy Cowboy Caviar
Recipe adapted and inspired by Cookie and Kate http://cookieandkate.com/2015/cowboy-caviar-recipe/
Photo from Cookie and Kate.
- 2 cups The Real Co. Basmati Rice
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained, or 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 1½ cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears of corn), or 1 (14-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1½ cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- ¾ cup chopped red onion (about ½ small red onion)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, ribs removed, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1 avocado (optional)
The Italian Dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 to 1½ teaspoons The Real Co. Pink Himalayan Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1-2 teaspoons The Real Co. Raw Cane Sugar, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large serving bowl, combine the drained black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeño. If you’ll be including avocado, wait to dice it until you’re ready to serve the dip, so it doesn’t turn brown in the meantime.
2. In a cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified. Drizzle the dressing over the serving bowl and toss until well mixed. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. For best flavor, let the mixture marinate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
3. If you’re adding avocado, mix it in just before serving.
Learn more about Single Origin and where to obtain The Real Co. products HERE.
Download this recipe card by dragging to your desktop or right-click-save.